Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2021: Global Mobile Traffic Increases by +90%
Contentsquare’s Data Analysis reveals key retail data
December 2, 2021 – New York, USA – Following Black Friday and Cyber Monday (BF/CM) 2021, Contentsquare has uncovered new insights around the major retail and shopping weekend, creating a robust, detailed analysis based on real-time data from over 4 billion sessions across six industries and 21 markets around the world. The study covers the entire peak in sales at the end of the year and offers a detailed analysis of online behavior during this key period for retailers.
Even as retail begins to reopen some physical stores, the findings suggest that customers continue to pivot towards the ease and safety of online shopping during the biggest shopping season, with a significant lift in mobile compared to desktop traffic.
Key global findings from 1 October up to and including 29 November 2021 include:
- The Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend of 25-29 Nov. 2021, saw a +90% uplift globally (based on daily average) in mobile traffic compared to 1-31 October.
- In October, 62% of overall traffic was on mobile. During BF/CM, the mobile share of voice increased to +68%. During BF/CM, mobile traffic increased +90% over traffic levels in October. Finally, during BF/CM, desktop traffic increased +46% over traffic levels in October.
- Based on the above data, while traffic increased on both mobile and desktop, users were on their mobile devices significantly more than desktop users during the holiday weekend compared to October.
- Out of all the industries surveyed, the Consumer Electronics industry had the highest direct traffic (27.6%), the second highest was the Fashion Retail industry (27.3%), and the third highest was Grocery (24.9%).
- Global desktop traffic in Beauty rose +70.9% over the BF/CM weekend versus the rest of Nov. (1-24th Nov) whereas Consumer Goods only saw a +7.91% increase over the same period.
- Globally, paid acquisition drove the highest number of visitor sessions but direct traffic was the highest driver of buying sessions.
The Contentsquare platform analyzes customer behavior through trillions of anonymous web, mobile and app interactions, and transforms this knowledge into intelligent recommendations that increase user conversion, revenue, engagement and growth.
Contentsquare’s remarkable growth, which includes a $500M Series E fundraise in May 2021, and acquisitions like Hotjar and Upstride, have positioned the company to make great strides in innovation and global expansion. It continues to commit to global initiatives like digital accessibility — bolstered by its 2020 acquisition of AdaptMyWeb and subsequent launch of the Contentsquare Foundation — and digital privacy, with the launch of the industry’s first cookieless experience analytics solution.
Research of Contentsquare data from 4 billion sessions across six industries (consumer electronics, fashion retail, grocery, beauty, consumer goods and luxury) were taken from 21 countries (including the United States, France, the United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, and more). Data was analyzed from 1 October to 29 November 2021.
Additional Stories Around Contentsquare’s Black Friday and Cyber Monday Data Analysis
- DCommerce (Italian), eCommerce & vendite natalizie: 7 best practice per migliorare la user experience dei clienti
- Appliance Retailer, eftpos Black Friday sales surge
- Branding in Asia, Mobile Shoppers Dominate Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales Across the Asia-Pacific This Year
Contentsquare empowers brands to build better digital experiences. Our experience analytics platform tracks and visualizes billions of digital behaviors, delivering intelligent recommendations that everyone can use to grow revenue, increase loyalty and fuel innovation. Founded in Paris in 2012, Contentsquare has since opened offices in London, New York, San Francisco, Munich, Tel Aviv, Tokyo, Singapore and Barcelona. Today, it helps more than 750 enterprises in 26 countries deliver better digital experiences for their customers. Visit contentsquare.com to find out more.